Sunday, July 29, 2012

Why LIZ Talks

TED Talks and LIZ Talks


If you've never heard of TED: Ideas Worth Spreading, you should check it out sometime. The website (www.ted.com/talks) hosts hundreds of educational and inspiring videos for your personal enjoyment and enlightenment. It also happens to be part of the inspiration of this blog.

So what's the connection between TED and this LIZ blog? Our goals are the same. In the words of TED's mission statement:

Our mission: Spreading ideas.
 

We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. So we're building here a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world's most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not so arrogant as to think that I'm one of the world's most inspired thinkers. But I do have ideas--thoughts generated from the sum total of the unique experiences of my life--that I consider worth spreading. And my passion for positive change has encouraged me to open up and create this blog with the intent of sharing those ideas.


About This Blog


I, Liz Montgomery, do solemnly swear to include in this blog only the ideas which I consider worth spreading. I will write only that which I hope will uplift, inspire, and enlighten the human mind and soul, and only those things which I believe will contribute to the ultimate well-being of individuals, society, and the world as a whole. Anything more or less than that will find no place here. I already have a journal to write about the goings-on of my life and social media outlets to keep friends and family updated, so I have no need to do that here. Therefore, this blog will be completely dedicated to the mission of TED: spreading ideas. I understand that not everyone will agree with my ideas, but I'm putting them out there nonetheless.

Mormon Caveat


I should probably mention that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and my posts will probably be highly influenced by my religious beliefs. Not all of them will include religious thoughts though, and I'm hoping that all people will be able to relate to my blog posts, not just Mormons or Christians. I'm considering labeling the LDS-centric posts to be different than the everyone-centric posts, but we'll see how it goes.

With all that being said, I think I'm ready to publish my very first post! I sincerely hope that through this blog, I can somehow make the world a better place. Keep on reading, and feel free to spread the ideas!

-Liz Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment